[Cubicweb] [RFC] folding yams, rql and logilab-database into the cubicweb repository

Julien Cristau julien.cristau at logilab.fr
Wed Mar 16 18:26:58 CET 2016

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 18:09:13 +0100, Nicolas Chauvat wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 05:00:23PM +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
>
> > One possible downside is that this move would discourage use of
> > rql/yams/lgdb outside of cubicweb.
>
> Indeed.
>
> It would also contribute to make cubicweb even more monolithic, which
> I see as a problem.
>
> > I don't think those hypothetical uses warrant making cubicweb
> > development more painful (and in the case of lgdb, I would tend to
> > think nobody should base a new project on it).
>
> What would people recommend using instead of yams and lgdb ?

AFAIK sqlalchemy core provides pretty much all of lgdb's useful
features.  I've considered porting cubicweb to use sqlalchemy several
times, but that is also something that would be much easier if lgdb was
not a separate project.

I don't know the domain enough to have suggestions about yams.

> My opinion is that removing code is always better than merging two
> projects (and that better drawing the line between two
> projects/components to make them independent and reduce coupling is
> better than merging them).

Be that as it may, I don't think that reflects a choice we have here,
considering available resources.

If there's one line that could be drawn it's probably to get rid of
cubicweb's web interface.  That's a bunch of work in and of itself,
though, and doesn't solve the problems we're having today (and have been
having for years) when anything in the schema changes.

Cheers,
Julien