[Cubicweb] What if we were to redo CubicWeb ?

Nicolas Chauvat nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr
Tue Jun 10 15:27:55 CEST 2014

Hi Dimitri,

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 02:23:24PM +0200, Dimitri Papadopoulos Orfanos wrote:
> CubicWeb (like most databases as far as I know) lacks support for
> managing schema modifications. Currently one needs to:
> * modify the schema,
> * write the migration script,
> * optionally rewrite import scripts,
> * change views,
> * ...???
>
> Some automation would help, for example the migration script could be
> (partially) inferred from the schema changes. I do understand this is
> *not* straightforward.

As you say, fully automating migrations after changing the schema does
not seem straightforward.

There are things available already that are (closely) related:

  cubicweb-ctl schema-diff -h
  sync_props_perms*()

I suggest writing a CWEP with use cases describing the support you
would like to have, because "support for managing schema
modifications" could mean so many different things to different people
that writing them down is the only way to move forward.