[Cubicweb] OrbUI News - 20/Sept/2012

Celso FLORES celso.flores at crealibre.com
Mon Sep 24 17:16:47 CEST 2012

Hello World,

> > 1. Publish all reviewed patches.
> > We are expecting the credentials from Logilab, in order to do so.
>
> In the (short) meantime, if you tell me to publish patches X and Y, I
> will do it for you and everyone will be able to move forward.

Yes, please apply all patches already reviewed.

> > 2.2 Patch about the cw_minimum_css cube.
> > http://www.cubicweb.org/patch/2410726
>
> I am the author of that one.
>
> > Some words about this Cube (cw_minimum_css) :
> >
> > On the OrbUI cube project began, we created this cube to clean up almost
> > all CSS from CubicWeb. so we can relay this job to bootstrap framework in
> > the orbui project.
> > We only left a few classes to remain CubicWeb working with some
> Javascript
> > functions.
> > Then, we start adapting the Boostrap Classes to Cw, and rewriting some
> HTML
> > in the OrbUI project.
> >
> > Therefore, we advice to keep this cube on the OrbUI project, until
> CubicWeb
> > could be CSS free (IF).
>
> It took me a few minutes to go back to the code and remember why I did
> this. Here is my reasoning:
>
> - orbui is about using bootstrap to develop the html front-end

Yes. This front-end would be slightly different from the current one.

> - bootstrap comes with its own reset css and does not rely on any
>   third party files
>
> - to remove everything related to css from the stock cubicweb, you
>   just need to set STYLESHEETS* = [] in uiprops, hence orbui can do that
>   without the help of cw_minimum_css.
>
> - therefore, everything that's in cw_minimum_css and is required to
>   get orbui working is something I would call an orbui bug, since
>   orbui should build entirely on bootstrap and nothing else.

Yes, but at the beginning, it was our best chance to have a "CSS clean and
working" cube to start.

> In my opinion, orbui should not ask to an underlying cw_minimum_css
> cube to get the css for menus/facets/whatever to work side-by-side
> with bootstrap. It is better to find how to build clean new
> menus/facets/whatever on top of bootstrap.
>
> Totally agree. We should be working on it.
a) I will review, those CSS changes from the CSS minimum, to see if they
are still needed, and nothing is missing.
b) Carlos already accepted the patch.

> Is the above answer intelligible ?

Yes, it is.

Thanks !