[Cubicweb] OrbUI News - 20/Sept/2012

Nicolas Chauvat nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr
Fri Sep 21 23:08:49 CEST 2012

Hola Mexicanos,

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 07:25:26PM -0500, Celso FLORES wrote:
> This mail just to thank you for the flow of code you sent to the OrbUI
> cube, which we will continue to develop.
> We will review the patches related and manage the cube, willing to see
> those so well known benefits that gathers from collaboration.

Great!

> 1. Publish all reviewed patches.
> We are expecting the credentials from Logilab, in order to do so.

In the (short) meantime, if you tell me to publish patches X and Y, I
will do it for you and everyone will be able to move forward.

> 2.2 Patch about the cw_minimum_css cube.
> http://www.cubicweb.org/patch/2410726

I am the author of that one.

> Some words about this Cube (cw_minimum_css) :
>
> On the OrbUI cube project began, we created this cube to clean up almost
> all CSS from CubicWeb. so we can relay this job to bootstrap framework in
> the orbui project.
> We only left a few classes to remain CubicWeb working with some Javascript
> functions.
> Then, we start adapting the Boostrap Classes to Cw, and rewriting some HTML
> in the OrbUI project.
>
> Therefore, we advice to keep this cube on the OrbUI project, until CubicWeb
> could be CSS free (IF).

It took me a few minutes to go back to the code and remember why I did
this. Here is my reasoning:

- orbui is about using bootstrap to develop the html front-end

- bootstrap comes with its own reset css and does not rely on any
  third party files

- to remove everything related to css from the stock cubicweb, you
  just need to set STYLESHEETS* = [] in uiprops, hence orbui can do that
  without the help of cw_minimum_css.

- therefore, everything that's in cw_minimum_css and is required to
  get orbui working is something I would call an orbui bug, since
  orbui should build entirely on bootstrap and nothing else.

In my opinion, orbui should not ask to an underlying cw_minimum_css
cube to get the css for menus/facets/whatever to work side-by-side
with bootstrap. It is better to find how to build clean new
menus/facets/whatever on top of bootstrap.

Is the above answer intelligible ?