[Cubicweb] running the web frontend and cw backend as 2 separate processes on the same machine

Aurélien Campeas aurelien.campeas at logilab.fr
Fri Jun 11 14:08:41 CEST 2010

Le jeudi 10 juin 2010 à 20:31 +0200, Alexandre Fayolle a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I  have a CW instance running on a 2 CPU computer. Because of the GIL, I
> cannot really benefit from the 2 CPUs. Since CubicWeb can be setup to run on 2
> computers, one running the web frontend and the other one running the CW
> server itself, I was wondering if it was possible to use a similar setup, on a
> single machine, and if so, how would this be set up. I don't expect a x2 perf
> improvement, but even 20% would be good news.
>
> If this is not supported, maybe it could be considered, since multi core
> computers are common these days. I'm pretty sure something can be done with
> some environment variable hacking, which I could probably use to see the
> status of the GIL contention  vs. pyro call overhead tradeof.
>
> What do you think?

Hello,

I believe this should all be in the documentation.

I'd like to extend your questions with the following: would it be
complicated to have an all-in-one process handling web request & all
short-lived requests + one repository process handling the long-running
transactions (import/export, delete, clone) ?

For better use of a 2-cores processor, this split could really be

* 1 web front
* 1 short-lived requests repo
* 1 long transactions repo

Regards,