[Cubicweb] CubicWeb numbering scheme and release process

Nicolas Chauvat nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr
Wed Jul 22 18:21:22 CEST 2015

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 06:06:58PM +0200, Sylvain Thénault wrote:
> The proposed numbering scheme makes it hard to know which release is a major
> release or not.

The key argument was that "in a continuous process, there is no such
thing as a major release, because small changes keep flowing in all
the time instead of being batched in large chunks".

I can understand that the CubicWeb developers do not want to commit to
major releases that can "interrupt" the normal process and maybe
prevent them from refactoring parts of the code, but I can also
understand that users will find it difficult to follow a fast-paced
development team that releases every three month and does not commit
to maintain a particular release over a long period of time.

In other words, the development team said "one can not use the major
version number to know that a migration will be an easy one or a
difficult one".

At this point I am not sure what is the best option. I need to think
more about it and read about other opinions.