[Cubicweb] CubicWeb numbering scheme and release process

David Douard david.douard at logilab.fr
Wed Jul 22 18:30:07 CEST 2015

On 07/22/2015 06:06 PM, Sylvain Thénault wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm very fine with all those changes but would like to discuss (quickly) the two
> points below:
>
>> - change the numbering to a "year.month" scheme; with 4 releases a year, the next
>>   versions will be something like "15.10", "16.01", "16.04", "16.07" (or similar),
>>
>> - commit to keep the backward-compatibility code for at least a year (meaning 4 versions:
>>   a deprecation introduced in 15.10 will not be removed before 17.01) and clearly
>>   document the important changes and the migration path in the release notes,
>
> The proposed numbering scheme makes it hard to know which release is a major
> release or not.

Something I forgot to mention in my email: I propose to keep releasing as many bugfix
releases as needed, with an increased bugfix number, so numbering would be in fact
"15.10.0", "15.10.1" etc.

We may also keep the four digits of the year to keep it explicit, like 2016.04.2 or
2015.10.0... I was not very fond of this at the beginning, but I now find it
more explicit, so I would be +1 to keep the 4 digits of the year.

--

David DOUARD		 LOGILAB
Directeur du département Outils & Systèmes

+33 1 45 32 03 12	 david.douard at logilab.fr
+33 1 83 64 25 26	 http://www.logilab.fr/id/david.douard