[Cubicweb] What is update_search_mode() for ?

Sylvain Thénault sylvain.thenault at logilab.fr
Wed Jan 28 07:07:27 CET 2015

On 27 janvier 23:30, Christophe de Vienne wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> While tracking where time is spent in a request handling, I discovered
> _CubicWebRequestBase.update_search_mode().
>
> I guess it has to do with searching things, but I am disturbed by 2 things:
>
> - It modify the current session at *each* request handling, meaning
>   that even getting a static resource will uselessly access the session,
>   which has a cost.
>
>   Could we make CubicWebRequestBase.search_state a property that lazy
>   load itself?
>
>   We would then avoid countless useless access to the session data.
>
> - It is a global state, which is bad practice imo.
>
>   How realistic would it be to completely remove it ?

IIRC, this is really old stuff handling case where one is navigating to search
an entity to associate (ie when, from an edit form, you pick some relation in
the generic relations combobox, don't find the entity you want in the new
combobox that just appeared and so click in "search for Something").

IMO we should definitly drop that in favor of the new modal window that has
recently been developped (in its own cube iirc).