[Cubicweb] Move sources to a sub-directory

Christophe de Vienne christophe at unlish.com
Mon Sep 1 12:53:13 CEST 2014

Le 01/09/2014 10:49, Aurélien Campéas a écrit :
> On 01/09/2014 09:57, Christophe de Vienne wrote:
>> Le 01/09/2014 09:20, Nicolas Chauvat a écrit :
>>> I do not expect to use virtualenv (in this life, at least).
>> You may have more years of python in front of you than you already
>> done... so who knows ?
>> venv (http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0405/), if not virtualenv
>> itself, may look more acceptable to you.
>>
>>> Will my only solution be to add symlinks or write shell scripts that
>>> set up my PYTHONPATH ?
>> I afraid so.
>>
>> Aurélien hacked a little tool that build the PYTHONPATH from a
>> .pythonpath file in his top-level repository. It may be a solution for
>> you too.
>>
> It is a temporary trivial workaround waiting for a "solution" and I do
> not really want anyone else to go down this road.
>
> I am otherwise extremely unhappy with the move from a sane PYTHONPATH
> handling.

What sounds "sane" for you is a pain for others. It is a question of
pov, even if technically speaking yours is perfectly valid.
That said, I wonder how much a "|package_dir={'pkgname':''}|" is used
outside of the cubicweb ecosystem. I think not much.

> This is yet another instance of parts of the Python dev community
> understanding only one side of a COST equation and shoving their
> (mis-)appreciation through everyone else.

We can still try and implement a 'develop' that works with cubicweb
source layout (ie with package_dir={'pkgname': '.'}). I somehow doubt a
'sane' solution exists that would be accepted in setuptools, but it
could be worth a try.

> May I suggest that we put this discussion to sleep until we:
>
> * pass an official resolution of intent to break our layouts
> * schedule an implementation.
>
> which should happen at the next copil'.
If yet un-told pros & cons are found though, I would like to hear them
before. Otherwise I agree.

Christophe