[Cubicweb] CWEP 0004 - Cubes as distributions

Christophe de Vienne christophe at unlish.com
Thu Oct 23 14:04:55 CEST 2014

Le 23/10/2014 13:11, Denis Laxalde a écrit :
> Christophe de Vienne a écrit :
>> But here we would need to split the namespace "cubes" across multiple
>> directories. This is made possible by PEP420 [1] in python 3.4.
>> For older python versions, the solution is to use setuptools namespace
>> packages [2]
>>
>> And this is were the trouble may start. I do not say it must be avoided,
>> just that it will add some difficulties along the way.
>
> What kind of trouble?
On some platforms, in some obscure condition I don't want to know,
things happen. for example the problems encountered by Yann recently.

That said:
> From reading the PEPs, I could also see that the pkgutil/setuptools
> "namespace packages" feature has limitations, but are they so
> important that we couldn't give it a try?

Yes, it is most probably worth a try. But we may run into (solvable)
issues because of it, so I prefer to say so early.

It will have its advantages, mainly making compatible cubes easier to write.

Christophe