[Cubicweb] CubicWeb: 'system' instance on a server

Dimitri Papadopoulos Orfanos dimitri.papadopoulos at cea.fr
Fri May 23 20:55:57 CEST 2014

Hi Nicolas,

This does work, you're not missing anything. Actually I had started
experimenting with 'user' instances during my first weeks playing with
CubicWeb on servers. Then I switched to 'system' instances in an attempt
to be as standard as possible. A few minor drawbacks of 'user' instances:

* Log files end up outside of /var/log by default - not standard for
servers.
Of course I could create an appropriate /var/log/aims directory and set
attribute 'main.log-file' in all-in-one.conf accordingly (there's no
CW_LOG_DIR variable):
http://docs.cubicweb.org/admin/instance-config.html#configuring-logging

* I would have to re-write log rotation configuration + startup scripts
in /etc/init (or use the @reboot instruction of crontab). Easy to write,
less standard and less easy to document and maintain in the long term.

Nevertheless 'user' instances might be more appropriate in our case.
Indeed running cubicweb-ctl as 'aims' does work in that case. We will
think about it and maybe decide at some point to switch to 'user'
instances instead of 'system' instances on our servers.

Best,
Dimitri

--
Dimitri Papadopoulos