[Cubicweb] CubicWeb: 'system' instance on a server

Dimitri Papadopoulos Orfanos dimitri.papadopoulos at cea.fr
Fri May 23 16:56:12 CEST 2014

Dear all,

I had already written to this list about the way CubicWeb instances are
started on a server.

On an Ubuntu server, a "system" instance needs access to several resources:
* /etc/cubicweb.d: must be accessed as 'root',
* PostgreSQL: accessed both as 'root' and as 'cubicweb' or whatever
'uid' is declared in all-in-one.conf - 'aims' in our case.

The good side of "system" instances is that they are automatically
started at boot time, that logs live in /var/log and are rotated as
expected, etc.

There is a bad side to "system" instances - but maybe you can help us
work around it. We would like our Python scripts to run as 'aims' while
at the same time opening a session in the CubicWeb instance. This
doesn't work, the CubicWeb code called by the script complains that
/etc/cubicweb.d cannot be accessed. We would like to avoid scripts
running as 'root' on a server. Can you think of a clean way (not a hack)
to start our scripts not as 'root' but as 'aims'? Alternatively, do you
have an example of how to switch to 'aims' after having started the
script as 'root'?

Best,
--
Dimitri Papadopoulos