[Cubicweb] CubicWeb environment launched by Vagrant and provisioned by Salt

Arthur Lutz arthur.lutz at logilab.fr
Tue May 13 10:33:16 CEST 2014

Hi list,

I've been preparing a workshop on semantic web technologies and CubicWeb
and wanted to make it "easy" to bootstrap a CubicWeb environment. After
trying out virtualenv + pip again with a few difficulties (but I believe
we should fix those bugs and make CubicWeb pip installable), I explored
a VM based approach.

I believe vagrant http://www.vagrantup.com/ is quite popular and easily
installable on various platforms. I have tested a bunch of open source
projects this way and I find it quite good (separate environments,
scratch after testing, can run stuff as root on a different VM).

We're also big fans of salt http://saltstack.org/ which happens to have
an official provisioner in vagrant :
http://docs.vagrantup.com/v2/provisioning/salt.html so they are a good
match.

So here is a first version of the setup :

  hg clone http://hg.logilab.org/users/alutz/vagrant-salt-cubicweb/
  cd vagrant-salt-cubicweb/
  vagrant up

Open http://localhost:8080 in your browser to see a running blog demo
application. (login: admin / password: admin)

View the README here :
http://hg.logilab.org/users/alutz/vagrant-salt-cubicweb/file/9ef3d246cb0b/README

Am interested in your feedback,

Arthur