[Cubicweb] Pyro and ZMQ deprecated?

Nicolas Chauvat nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr
Wed Mar 5 11:22:21 CET 2014

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 05, 2014 at 10:05:56AM +0100, Dimitri Papadopoulos Orfanos wrote:
> My understanding is that rqlcontroller is preliminary work not yet ready
> for production - as far as I can see there hasn't been any release of
> this cube:
> 	http://www.cubicweb.org/project/cubicweb-rqlcontroller
> I understand Nicolas was pointing you to this cube not as code you
> should be using, but as a preview of future ways to access the CubicWeb
> database. That would explain the current lack of documentation.

Yes.

Let me provide a bit more context.

At the very beginning, we decided to forbid "write" queries coming
from HTTP because we decided we did not have time to think about the
security issues.

For many years, most of the apps we developped have been happy with
Pyro for the remote access was from the same intranet.

Now that we need actual "web services" accessed over the internet, we
thought it over and decided it was better to allow RQL INSERT/SET
queries rather than develop a whole new API that covers basic needs
for each app.

That's why and when the rqlcontroller cube comes into play.

I suppose that once it runs fine, we will have little motivation to
maintain pyro and zmq.

As usual, teaming up with other users and contributors to develop
CubicWeb is something we enjoy and look forward to.