[Cubicweb] Pyro and ZMQ deprecated?

Dimitri Papadopoulos Orfanos dimitri.papadopoulos at cea.fr
Wed Mar 5 10:05:56 CET 2014

Yann,

My understanding is that rqlcontroller is preliminary work not yet ready
for production - as far as I can see there hasn't been any release of
this cube:
	http://www.cubicweb.org/project/cubicweb-rqlcontroller
I understand Nicolas was pointing you to this cube not as code you
should be using, but as a preview of future ways to access the CubicWeb
database. That would explain the current lack of documentation.

For now, here are the options I know of to access a CubicWeb database
(please correct me if I have forgotten any):

* HTTP/HTTPS: can be used remotely, simple for retrieving data or
without authentication, a bit more complex for pushing data or with
authentication (for example max. length of an URL or session management)

* CubicWeb shell: cannot be used remotely (unless using remote sessions
at the system level like SSH), admin mode (full access to the resources
of the user at host running the server)

* ZMQ: can be used remotely, security issues, admin mode (full access to
the resources of the user at host running the server), to be deprecated

* Pyro: same as ZMQ

* write you own front-end, for example a Web service

Databases such as MySQL or PostgreSQL have their own protocol to
remotely and securely run SQL queries:
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/ssl-connections.html
    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/libpq-ssl.html

CubicWeb seems to be lacking such a maintainable and standard mechanism
to remotely run RQL queries, especially for data insertion (except HTTPS
which again is complex to use and seems to have some issues).

I cannot understand from the 'rqlcontroller' page whether it will
provide such a maintainable mechanism.

--
Dimitri Papadopoulos
CEA/Saclay