[Cubicweb] meeting with Paul Everitt "a Pyramid guy" on July 31st 2014 at Logilab

Christophe de Vienne christophe at unlish.com
Mon Jul 28 15:29:23 CEST 2014

Le 28/07/2014 14:32, Nicolas Chauvat a écrit :
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 09:35:14AM +0200, Paul Everitt wrote:
>
>> When I heard the description of the way views in CubicWeb are looked
>> up, it made me think of Pyramid's traversal, which is designed for
>> graphs. It's possible that traversal is precisely the right approach
>> for CubicWeb and, if used, would bring in a number of benefits:
> Interesting thought. I am not sure what you see as common between
> using cubicweb's registry to select a view and traversal, but will go
> read again about traversal.

In my understanding, the traversal would build the rset, like the
RestPathEvaluator does, and make a context out of it.
This context would be fed to the cubicweb predicates by the pyramid view
selection system.

Hence, the common is not between traversal and cubicweb registry
selection, but between traversal and RestPathEvaluator, and between the
cubicweb registry and the pyramid registry.

Note that it does'nt mean we remove the cubicweb registry for view
selection in general (yet), just that we can bypass it for the top-level
view.

Also, it means that the way views are chosen by the end-user will
probably need to change from "/somepath?vid=someview" to
"/somepath/someview". I personnally think it is for the best, as using
the query parameters for view selection (and for rql query anywhere in
the application) looks like bad practice to me.

Christophe