[Cubicweb] hypermedia API talk at EuroPython 2014

Jean-Baptiste Pressac Jean-Baptiste.Pressac at univ-brest.fr
Wed Jul 23 10:19:04 CEST 2014

Hello,
Well, your mail made me discover hypermedia APIs
<https://coderwall.com/p/xvzu-g>, so I am not an expert on the subject,
but it seems that some articles on the Web seems to equally compare
JSON-LD and HAL has both ways to support links in JSON :
- On choosing a hypermedia type for your API - HAL, JSON-LD,
Collection+JSON, SIREN, Oh My!
<http://sookocheff.com/posts/2014-03-11-on-choosing-a-hypermedia-format/>
- Linking in JSON <https://www.mnot.net/blog/2011/11/25/linking_in_json>
- On APIs, JSON, Linked Data, attitude and opportunities
<http://linkeddataorchestration.com/2014/03/04/on-apis-json-linked-data-attitude-and-opportunities/>

Those articles and the sentence "HAL provides a set of conventions for
expressing hyperlinks in either JSON or XML." in the HAL specification
<http://stateless.co/hal_specification.html> make me think that HAL is
"just" a convention to add (ressource ?) links to JSON. HAL does not
seems to describe links to create/update/delete the ressources, it's
just a hypermedia type <http://amundsen.com/hypermedia/> (like HTML).

Concerning hypermedia APIs with JSON-LD, you should consider Hydra
<http://json-ld.org/learn.html> of Markus Lanthaler.

Other potentialy interesting ressources :
- Hyper­me­dia, quelques recherches pour JSON
<https://n.survol.fr/n/hypermedia-quelques-recherches-pour-json>
- That's not Hypermedia! <http://amundsen.com/blog/archives/1149>

Jean-Baptiste Pressac

Traitement et analyse de bases de données
Production et diffusion de corpus numérisés

Centre de Recherche Bretonne et Celtique
Unité mixte de service (UMS) 3554
20 rue Duquesne
CS 93837
29238 Brest cedex 3