[Cubicweb] hypermedia API talk at EuroPython 2014

Nicolas Chauvat nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr
Wed Jul 23 07:53:03 CEST 2014

Hi Jean-Baptiste,

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 05:11:47PM +0200, Jean-Baptiste Pressac wrote:
> And why not JSON-LD
> <http://www.reddit.com/r/javascript/comments/1j08ov/hal_vs_jsonld>
> instead of HAL ?

Thank you for the feedback.

As I said, I wish I had more time to research this topic properly and
write up a summary. I knew about JSON-LD but it did not come to my
mind when I wrote my email.

JSON-LD <http://www.w3.org/TR/json-ld/> is now a W3C recommendation,
but I have been seeing it as a way to publish data.

The presentation I was citing was using HAL to describe an API using
hypermedia. Basically, you get data *and* links to
create/update/delete related data. Knowing the root url (entry point)
and the vocabulary used to describe the data/actions in that domain
you just crawl your way through and will never need to build urls
after reading the documentation for the API (see REST in Roy
Fielding's thesis).

I have not (yet) read all the references mentionned in the first
answer on reddit. Would they explain how JSON-LD is related to
hypermedia APIs and not just publishing linked data as JSON?