[Cubicweb] PYRAMID: Inside-out or outside-in?

Nicolas Chauvat nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr
Thu Jul 10 15:58:01 CEST 2014

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 09:14:17AM -0400, Paul Everitt wrote:

> 1) Do you want to re-imagine CubicWeb as a Pyramid application? In
> this case, people familiar with Pyramid, the Pyramid docs, and other
> Pyramid software would be familiar with CubicWeb. You would, where
> *possible*, switch to Pyramid implementations and patterns.
>
> 2) Do you want to use Pyramid for internals? In this case, the
> existing CubicWeb documentation would be largely unchanged. You'd
> keep the CubicWeb framework, just using Pyramid as a
> framework-framework. You would, where *necessary*, switch to Pyramid
> implementations and patterns.
>
> It's an important distinction, as I don't want you to feel like I am shoving (1) down your throat. [wink]

I am not quite sure I see the difference. Isn't (2) a step towards (1) ?

My goals are:

a) remove from CubicWeb as much code as possible and use a
   library/framework instead, then help maintain/evolve that
   library/framework

b) share enough concepts with the library/framework so that it becomes
   easy to go from it to CubicWeb and vice-versa. The larger the
   community the better. Django appears too monolithic here, Pyramid
   looks like a better option, much more open to various
   "higher-level" frameworks (SubstanceD, etc) that lend themselves
   to cross-fertilization.