[Cubicweb] Would CWSchema be worth a CWEP ?

Celso FLORES celso.flores at crealibre.com
Thu Jan 30 08:53:37 CET 2014

2014-01-29 Nicolas Chauvat <nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr>:

> Hi List,

Hi

> Below is another idea I am trying to float around to see if it gets
> traction. If needed, I will turn it into an actual CWEP.
>
> CWEP-???? - CWSchema
> ====================
>
> :champion: Nicolas Chauvat
> :last update: 2014/01/29
> :status: draft
>
> Rationale
> ---------
>
> A recurrent feature request from users has been to be able to modify the
> data
> model without having to code or to easily adapt the data model to their
> very
> specific case.

As we already discussed early, we had this spreadsheet idea, in which
entities,
 attributes, relations, translations, permissions could generate and manage
a Schema for CW.

Our Client Softtek developed that and we use it to manage 52 entities,
and over 700 attributes and relations for those entities.

I can't imagine managing all that schema and migrations without a central
utility.
As for today, this is Softtek dev and none free software.

> Another use case would be to define forms on-the-fly by describing their
> data
> model and using the standard form engine based.

I guess  CWSchema would be nicer than a spreadsheet,
specially if Ergonomy and Usability are at least equivalent to that
experienced with
a spreadsheet.

> Proposal
> --------
>
> The main idea of this proposal is to introduce an entity CWSchema that
> would be
> used as a namespace for instances of CWEType and CWRType.
>
> At the time of this writing, the whole codebase implicitly assumes that
> instances of CW*Type are together defining a unique data model.
>
> A CWSchema named "default" could be introduced that would contain all the
> instances of CW*Type. The codebase would have to be (heavily) modified to
> explicitly reference the "default" CWSchema.
>
> The second step would be to set permissions on CWSchema and allow some
> users to
> create instances of CWSchema and CW*Type, then execute queries and call
> "in the context/namespace of CWSchema named XYZ".
>
> Lots of questins are open at this point and it will be needed to give
> that idea a try and see how it changes writing forms, classifying data
> (think "dynamic" thesaurus) and import/export data (think user-defined
> schema on top of "common" objects like persons, organisations and
> places).

These part sounds promising.

> Implementation
> --------------
>
> Not yet.
>
> ::
>
>   CWSchema.name = String(required=True, unique=True)
>
>   CWRType [*]in_schema[1] CWSchema
>   CWEtype [*]in_schema[1] CWSchema
>
> Questions:
>
> - would yams or RQL need to be modified ?
>
> Discussion
> -----------
>
> Please comment.

Althought my programming skills are far far away from... well from almost
anyone,
I will closely follow this CWEP, eager to see in which part I could fit.

> --
> Nicolas Chauvat
>
> logilab.fr - services en informatique scientifique et gestion de
> connaissances

Celso FLORES
Knowledge Management Consultant
Mx. 044 81 80 75 04 73