[Cubicweb] Postgis and Shapely

Rémi Cardona remi.cardona at logilab.fr
Thu Jan 2 11:25:41 CET 2014

Hi Christophe,

Le 01/01/2014 11:47, Christophe de Vienne a écrit :
> Going through geoalchemy-2 [1] documentation, I discovered it is
> integrated with Shapely [2], which is itself based on the same engine
> postgis use (geos).
> So I wondered if someone already had a look to Shapely and if it could
> be integrated with the postgis cube ?

When working on the postgis cube a few months ago, I did stumble upon
Shapely and its sibling Fiona and started using them.

Overall, I was quite pleased with the Shapely/Fiona combo. Especially
when compared against the official geos/GDAL python bindings. Those are
needlessly complex to use and incredibly fragile, I gave up on them
after the second NULL-pointer dereference I got when toying with them in
IPython.

Going back to Shapely, I ended up not using it in the postgis cube for 2
reasons:

* lack of clean RPM packages. Not Shapely's fault, but it did hamper its
use for our first production deployment.
* no indexing facility to help with large intersection computations
(again, a feature needed for the aforementioned deployment)

The bottom line was that PostGIS was doing a much better job with all
the gigabytes of GIS data we fed it and the need for Shapely pretty much
disappeared.

As for proper CubicWeb support, this would require some more work in
yams, logilab-database and cubicweb proper. Not an easy task (basically
a comprehensive "public" API for cube-defined final types), but a
worthwhile one IMHO.

Cheers :)

--
Rémi Cardona - LOGILAB, Paris (France).