[Cubicweb] Move sources to a sub-directory

Nicolas Chauvat nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr
Sun Aug 31 22:43:36 CEST 2014

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 01:22:08PM +0200, Christophe de Vienne wrote:
> This layout is not "that" new. I have seen it around for at least 10 years.
> And it becoming a standard is not from yesterday either.

It was new ten years ago, when Logilab had already been in business
for 5 years and I had been using Python for 8 years. I still think
this new idea is a bad idea. And I still think every language building
its own platform and packaging system is a bad idea.

But I now what "outnumbered" means.

> The de-facto "standard" way is not that bad, really. I am pretty
> confident that you will not loose much with it. You may even get to
> like it eventually :-)

My opinion is that these tools where created just because people
decided to add a sub-directory as was being done with sources that
needed to be compiled. Remove the sub-directory and you can drop all
the tools and make the things simpler and reduce the chances of
failure.

We had a sub-directory at some point around 2001/2002 to separate code
from other files and removed it from our projects because plain
PYTHONPATH was simpler and easier to set things up (no extra command
to type, no extra symlinks to make and keep current, no extra
documentation).

Could we change things such that the "I like it more complex"
community can have it their way and I/we can continue to use
PYTHONPATH and ignore the virtualenv/develop/setup and other steps
that remind me of using configure/make and make me feel I moved away
from the Debian platform to enter the Python-only-land?