[Cubicweb] Move sources to a sub-directory

Christophe de Vienne christophe at unlish.com
Fri Aug 29 12:47:46 CEST 2014

Le 29/08/2014 11:53, Alain Leufroy a écrit :
> On 25/08/2014 16:58, Christophe de Vienne wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Studying how can pip / setuptools can make work on cubicweb easier, I
>> hit a major problem : "pip install -e" (equivalent to "setup.py
>> develop") will _not_ work.
>>
> Could you explain why you'd like to use virtualenv and setup.py develop?

Mainly because I am efficient with virtualenv (actually
virtualenvwrapper) and not being able to use it properly is a pain,
really (*).

It allows me to start working with the pypi published packages, and then
only if needed for a particular package I get the source and do a
setup.py develop.

It makes starting to work on a package _much_ easier.

When working on a cube for example, I only need to have the sources from
the repositories for cubicweb, maybe logilab.database if I want to test
with pypy, and sometimes up to 3 cubes. But I do not care about checking
out yams, rql, logilab.common, most of the cubes, etc. The pypi versions
are good enough.

When I work with pyramid, using virtualenv is easy : pip install pyramid
and I am ready to go.
Not using it is complicated, see the in-progress confman configuration
of Aurélien to get an idea : it forces you to take some (way too long)
time to properly setup your pythonpath.

Currently I use a hybrid of virtualenv/setup.py develop + the
grshell-cubicweb to work on pyramid_cubicweb. And it makes things more
difficult than needed.

For example, I would like this sequence to be enough to start working on
pyramid_cubicweb and cubicweb sources (which is my current need):

     hg clone xxx/cubicweb
     hg clone xxx/pyramid_cubicweb
     mkvirtualenv devenv
     pip install -e xxx/cubicweb
     pip install -e xxx/pyramid_cubicweb

If, later, I have to patch pyramid itself, or yams :

     hg clone xxx/yams
     pip install -e yams

Easy to do for anybody, especially new comers. And even more easy
because most python developers works like this today.

That said, all the packages I know, except for the cubicweb ecosystem,
works nicely with virtualenv and setup.py develop. Keeping cubicweb
pip-unfriendly is definitely not the right thing to do.

I may have not actually answered your question (or too much!), feel free
to ask for precisions.

Christophe

(*) And if it is a pain for me (who is very willing to work with cw), it
will unfortunately be a show-stopper for many python developers.