[Cubicweb] Client command line tool in OpenERP vs. cubicweb-ctl (Re: [PROVENANCE INTERNET] Re: Apache authentication: which CubicWeb API?)

Nicolas Chauvat nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr
Mon Oct 14 11:22:52 CEST 2013

Hello Alexandre,

Thank you for taking the time to compare CubicWeb with other
frameworks you know.

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 09:24:53AM +0200, afayolle wrote:
> logic, which is quite different from the CW philosophy in which the

s/philosophy/most common case/

> views are generated on the server side and then displayed in the
> browser, together with very minimal JS code, mainly for eye candy.

Generating HTML on the server side is comfortable thanks to the python
langage, but not everyone has to go this way.

Several apps at Logilab are coded in javascript that pulls json from
the CW server using a rql query and a json view. We have been
experimenting with frameworks like angularjs and backbone that
generate the html on the client-side to display the json data they load.

Some apps also pull pickled numpy matrices produced from the result of
a RQL query. This allows for a python script to directly run
computations on the data it got from the database.

In my opinion, what is important in CubicWeb's design is that the
security is implemented on the server at the query level (not in
views) and that queries are clearly distinct from
views/presentation. The choice between preparing the data into a json
structure or generating the full fledged HTML page is left to the
architect of the actual application.