[Cubicweb] Client command line tool in OpenERP vs. cubicweb-ctl (Re: [PROVENANCE INTERNET] Re: Apache authentication: which CubicWeb API?)

afayolle afayolle.ml at free.fr
Mon Oct 14 09:24:53 CEST 2013

On 08/10/2013 21:41, Dimitri Papadopoulos Orfanos wrote:
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> I was thinking about code examples, not just an URL. The URL is OK for
> a Web browser, but not for client programs which usually implement
> only a subset of a complete browser.
>
> How to programatically access the URL from a client program, not a Web
> browser? Are cookies needed? Anything else I should be aware of? What
> about error detection and specifically HTTP return codes (parsing HTML
> or any other format does not look like a good solution)?
>
> Le 08/10/2013 17:43, Nicolas Chauvat a écrit :
>> Hi Dimitri,
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 08, 2013 at 05:17:48PM +0200, Dimitri Papadopoulos
>> Orfanos wrote:
>>> Genrally speaking, I cannot find any clue in the documentation on
>>> how to (programatically) query a CubicWeb database using HTTP.
>>
>> http://example.com/view?rql=YOUR-QUERY&vid=VIEW-ID
>>
>> For VIEW-ID pick one of json, csvexport, rdf, etc

Hello everyone,

I'm now spending a significant amount of my time working with OpenERP.
In the OpenERP ecosystem, there is a well defined API to interact with
the server because the main design paradigm is that the client layer is
largely independent from the server layer. Actually the web client in
OpenERP is a Javascript application, largely in charge of the
presentation of the json serialized business objects and the navigation
logic, which is quite different from the CW philosophy in which the
views are generated on the server side and then displayed in the
browser, together with very minimal JS code, mainly for eye candy.

[I'm aware I'm verging on the caricatural side here, and I have not
checked on the latest orbui developments which may be part of a
solution. The goal is not to start a framework war, just to provide some
feedback on how things are done in another framework. ]

The net effect of this, is that in the OpenERP ecosystem, there are 3rd
party tools such as ERPpeek [1] which are very close to what
`cubicweb-ctl shell` is in the CW ecosystem, with a very nice addition:
it is able to work in the c-ctl shell way by instanciating the
server-side of openerp, and also to work as a remote client if supplied
with the URL of an OpenERP instance. In this case, all the API calls are
made through RPC using the server's public API. A script which sticks
with the public API of the framework and the extension modules can be
run transparently in both modes, which is a huge gain when doing
maintenance.

[1] https://erppeek.readthedocs.org/en/latest/