[Cubicweb] datafeed

David Douard david.douard at logilab.fr
Mon Dec 16 09:10:29 CET 2013

On 04/12/2013 09:36, Dimitri Papadopoulos Orfanos wrote:
> I've found a few words on datafeed in the Logilab blog about CubicWeb 3.11:
>     http://www.cubicweb.org/blogentry/1512775
>
>     A new 'datafeed' source was introduced, inspired by the
>     soon to be deprecated datafeed cube. It needs polishing
>     but sets the foundation for advanced semantic web
>     applications that import content from others site using
>     simple http request.
>
>     A 'datafeed' source is associated to a parser that
>     analyses the imported data and then creates/updates
>     entities accordingly. There is currently a single parser
>     in the core that imports CubicWeb-generated xml and needs
>     to be configured with a mapping information that defines
>     how relations are to be followed. It provides a viable
>     alternative to 'pyrorql' sources. Other parsers to import
>     RDF, RSS, etc should come soon.
>
> From what I gather datafeed can help import data from structured Web
> sites. It doesn't help importing data from files (we have to parse at
> least CSV, XML, DICOM files), does it?

Not really, datafeed really is about importing (part of) an external
database in a CW instance. datafeed can update entities as long as it
can identify a unique identifier for that entity in the remote database
(typically an URI).

> In our application we repeatedly scan a directory for new files and data
> appended to existing files. Can datafeed help in that case? I'm thinking
> here about the "creates/updates entities accordingly" part of datafeed.

At update time, it needs to be able to ask the objects in the remote
database that have been created/modified since last synchronization. All
these stuff you won't (easily) have from files. What you need is a set
of (smart) importation scripts.

Maybe Vincent can help you here.

David

--

David DOUARD		 LOGILAB
Directeur du département Outils & Systèmes

+33 1 45 32 03 12	 david.douard at logilab.fr
+33 1 83 64 25 26	 http://www.logilab.fr/id/david.douard