[Cubicweb] status of the current stable branch wrt sioc / embed / geocoding cubes

Sylvain Thénault sylvain.thenault at logilab.fr
Mon Aug 26 12:26:38 CEST 2013

On 16 août 16:16, Alexandre Fayolle ML wrote:
> Hello folks,

Hi Alexandre,

> I see that the current stable branch of Cubicweb is the 3.17.x
> branch. While trying to migrate to that branch, the
> bootstrapmigration_repository script printed strange notices about
> the sioc, embed and geocoding cubes (e.g. "In cubicweb 3.17 sioc
> views have been moved to the sioc cube, which is not installed.
> Continue anyway?").
>
> IMO, it would be nicer if the upgrade process could auto detect
> this, but I understand that the information is probably not easily
> available, if at all.

auto-detect what?

> I have not checked the whole code in details,
> but correct me if I'm wrong: no magical import hack was done to
> transparently import from the new cubes when some code imports a
> view that was moved? In that case, the cube which uses the sioc /
> embed / geocoding views has to be updated, and must depend on the
> appropriate new cube otherwise there will be a crash at import time.
> So this leaves me wondering about this action in the backend
> migration code.

There is some bw compat, ie the former cw.web.views submodules imports from the
newly introduced cube, but protected by a try/except ImportError.

This implies that:

* if you don't use those modules, you can simply 'continue anyway' and
  everything should go fine;

* if you *programmatically* use (some of) those modules (eg by subclassing a
  class), and they are not installed, you will most probably get an error
  before the upgrade start because the bw compat won't work, so you'll have to
  install them first (but you probably won't have any clue about that without
  reading the release notes) - once the new package installed, everything should
  work as before;

* if you *implicitly* use them (eg url?vid=sioc), you're warned by the upgrade
  warnings you've seen.

Does that help to make things clearer?

> Final note : CW 3.17 is the stable branch, but the status of the
> sioc / embed / geocoding cubes is unclear : no stable branch in the
> mercurial repository, versions are not tagged as published on the
> forge, or are published but the tickets are still open.

This should be fixed asap, thanks for noticing it.

Cheers,