[Cubicweb] annotating divs with rql and vid

aurélien campéas aurelien.campeas at gmail.com
Fri May 25 09:46:03 CEST 2012

2012/5/25 afayolle <afayolle.ml at free.fr>

> On 24/05/2012 18:55, Nicolas Chauvat wrote:
> > 2/ IMHO the direction the web is going is "write client-based apps in
> > the browser with js and query data backend with sparql". We have RQL
> > and js already, let's not move back to the standard API-based design
> > where everything must have a URL known by the developer.
>
> You probably want to check out how things are done in OpenERP web
> client, esp. the under-developpent OERP7 version (trunk branch).
>
> The underlying philosophy is that the server part does not deal with
> HTML at all : it sends data to the client side which is in charge of
> generating the views (GTK heavyweight client, currently being
> deprecated, or Javascript client running in the browser). This makes for
> lighter communication between the server and the client.
>
> The web client in OERP7 is being rewritten with a full JS templating
> engine which has some interesting properties. Of course, OpenERP has
> some specific constraints and freedoms that CW has not (the biggest one
> being that the customers hardly ever require heavy customization of the
> views besides putting their logo on the top left corner and changing a
> couple of colors here and there), but the underlying philosophy and
> implementation are good sources of inpiration IMO.

I entirely agree with this. It is a direction I'd like us to take when
Internet Explorer compat is behind us:
a data server + a heavy js client.

Will happend for cw 5 maybe. Actually we could start from the main template
and gradually (and bw-compatibly) replace server-side html components with
js-side generatd stuff, one at a time.

It may just take quite a bit of time to leave server side html generation