[Cubicweb] annotating divs with rql and vid

Sylvain Thénault sylvain.thenault at logilab.fr
Thu May 24 21:39:24 CEST 2012

On 24 mai 18:55, Nicolas Chauvat wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 05:24:36PM +0200, Sylvain Thénault wrote:
> > If all the relevant facet code is implemented based on this, yes :
> > I want to be able to deactivate rql input but to keep the facets
> > functionnality.
>
> 1/ I am curious how it would work

The work currently done in the js code could (should?) be done on
the server side : simply post the facets form, that's enough to build
the rql, get a rset, apply the view and returning the result (along with
values to update the facets form display). And this results in a single
HTTP request instead of 3 as of today (one to build the rql, one to execute
it and apply the view, one for the facets form values).

> 2/ IMHO the direction the web is going is "write client-based apps in
> the browser with js and query data backend with sparql". We have RQL
> and js already, let's not move back to the standard API-based design
> where everything must have a URL known by the developer.

This is also a core point that will further drive the discussion. Do we
want to be able to run sites with rql input disabled? IMO we've already
built a bunch of sites where the answer is definitly yes. And I think
we'll have to build some others. Toying with CW has a price...

Corrolary points:

* what can't we have by disabling rql input, beside allowing user to type
  arbitrary rql?

* if we decide rql input is the future, then we should not delay anymore
  working on related security concerns.

PS: I'm not in the hurry to have to type sparql instead of rql :p
--
Sylvain Thénault, LOGILAB, Paris (01.45.32.03.12) - Toulouse (09.54.03.55.76)