[Cubicweb] sparql queries in CubicWeb

Nicolas Chauvat nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr
Fri May 25 10:20:28 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 09:39:24PM +0200, Sylvain Thénault wrote:
> PS: I'm not in the hurry to have to type sparql instead of rql :p

The problem with sparql is that when you say sparql, you quickly think
of rdf and when you say rdf, you quickly think of rdf
vocabularies[1]. As several cw projects have proved, exporting data to
known rdf vocabularies is easy enough, but for many reasons, the
internal data model often differs from that export/external data
model.

For many people, allowing sparql queries would mean allowing queries
that use the vocabularies the data is exported to. That implies
converting on-the-fly from the export schema to the internal schema.

That is not trivial...

On the other hand, using sparql to query the internal schema should
not be too difficult. See web/views/rdf.py for "cubicweb's default rdf
vocabulary"[2]. That's what we should get done first.

1: http://labs.mondeca.com/dataset/lov/index.html
2: http://hg.logilab.org/cubicweb/file/664d0bf525c8/web/views/rdf.py