[Cubicweb] Multisource in CW

Nicolas Chauvat nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr
Wed May 23 12:35:35 CEST 2012

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 10:50:42AM +0200, Sylvain Thénault wrote:
> What I feel is that we've already have the foundation to make it works as
> you wish without reinventing a lot of stuff already in. Working on a query
> planner and way to deal with disconnected sources sounds like a good path
> to follow (at least I've not seen any show-stopper in what I've read yet).

Since you wrote all the versions of the multi-source mechanism, you
are the one who knows better.

It is good to know that there is no show-stopper.

Since reference databases like dbpedia, geonames, databnf, etc are
large, it is not practical to integrate/duplicate them completely in
the apps that need their data.

It is good to know that Vincent has proved with his experiment that
something was doable to solve this issue and that a Thing record with
a URL in the entity table is an interesting move forward.

Back in time, I tried to introduce the ExternalUri entity to solve the
same problem. You probably remember that we talked about it when we
implemented basic Sparql support during summer 2009.

Good+good = very good, we are making progress! :)

Sylvain, just tell us what is the best design from your point of
view. Working on a query planner that can handle disconnected sources?

PS: in case someone from Fresnes is listening: "do you realize this is
exactly the problem you wanted solved when we discussed reusing the
data from data.bnf?" :)