[Cubicweb] problem with easy_install cubicweb (winXP, python2.7)

Aurélien Campéas aurelien.campeas at logilab.fr
Fri Mar 16 10:59:47 CET 2012

Le 16/03/2012 10:52, Aurélien Campéas a écrit :
> Le 15/03/2012 19:55, Elim Qiu a écrit :
>> This is the 1st time I want understand cubicweb. I think the
>> architectural idea of cubicweb is very interesting and kind of relating
>> to something I've been working with for many years.
>> I used to develop using NeXTSTEP/Apple's WebObjects, which was kind of
>> data model driven but not that thorough( and the newer version getting
>> worse due to the drop of ObjC and leave only Java). The nice thing about
>> WebObjects-ObjC is that It's not strong typed and create new framework,
>> Add Class/Modify the behavior of Class won't very hard at all. But Apple
>> has already changed the focus and appserver/E-Business solution is not
>> their concern anymore; GnuSTEP on the other hand, although it intend to
>> port good things from apple to Gnu world, it is bugy and very
>> incomplete to provide real useful platforms for the operational world.
>> The WebObjects4.5.1 ObjC is working on XP but not the newer versions of
>> windows and OSX. That's why I still use XP sometimes.
>
> Given this background I hope that you indeed will find cubicweb
> enjoyable. Also it becomes quite obvious that you really really didn't
> want to go the easy_install route.
>
> Last year there was a big effort to make most cw's dependencies easy
> installable but of course it falls short. That's because at logilab
> nobody ever uses this ! I think we should just refrain from advertising
> it from the doc ...
>
> I think almost all the steps here are still good:
> http://docs.cubicweb.org/admin/setup-windows.html#setupwindowsenv
>
> Inside there is a reference to "getting the source", and you should
> choose: http://docs.cubicweb.org/admin/setup.html#mercurialinstallation
>
> I'm really willing to support these steps if there are any problems with
> them.

Just to be clear, we are really linux people, even, debian people. If
you use debian or ubuntu you will get nicely prepared packages.

I'm the guy at logilab that ships cubicweb applications under windows
and I can tell you setuptools cannot do anything for us. We actually
follow the "install from source" strategy and it works well.

There are some "manual steps" involved but at least we _can_ provide
support for these (better than guess-work), out of first-hand experience.