[Cubicweb] problem with easy_install cubicweb (winXP, python2.7)

Aurélien Campéas aurelien.campeas at logilab.fr
Fri Mar 16 10:52:20 CET 2012

Le 15/03/2012 19:55, Elim Qiu a écrit :
> This is the 1st time I want understand cubicweb. I think the
> architectural idea of cubicweb is very interesting and kind of relating
> to something I've been working with for many years.
> I used to develop using NeXTSTEP/Apple's WebObjects, which was kind of
> data model driven but not that thorough( and the newer version getting
> worse due to the drop of ObjC and leave only Java). The nice thing about
> WebObjects-ObjC is that It's not strong typed and create new framework,
> Add Class/Modify the behavior of Class won't very hard at all. But Apple
> has already changed the focus and appserver/E-Business solution is not
> their concern anymore; GnuSTEP on the other hand, although it intend to
> port good things from apple to Gnu world, it is bugy and very
> incomplete to provide real useful platforms for the operational world.
> The WebObjects4.5.1 ObjC is working on XP but not the newer versions of
> windows and OSX. That's why I still use XP sometimes.

Given this background I hope that you indeed will find cubicweb
enjoyable. Also it becomes quite obvious that you really really didn't
want to go the easy_install route.

Last year there was a big effort to make most cw's dependencies easy
installable but of course it falls short. That's because at logilab
nobody ever uses this ! I think we should just refrain from advertising
it from the doc ...

I think almost all the steps here are still good:
http://docs.cubicweb.org/admin/setup-windows.html#setupwindowsenv

Inside there is a reference to "getting the source", and you should
choose: http://docs.cubicweb.org/admin/setup.html#mercurialinstallation

I'm really willing to support these steps if there are any problems with
them.

Regards,
Aurélien.