[Cubicweb] Unable to install cw 3.14.7 on Ubuntiu11.10 (oneric)

John Major john.major at locusdev.net
Fri Jul 20 01:28:59 CEST 2012

Thanks for the prompt reply Nicholas!  Answers are inline below:

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Nicolas Chauvat <nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 11:10:23AM -0700, John Major wrote:
> > The blocking issue seems to be that for Ubuntu 11+ there is no
> libgecode19
> > library available.
> > There is a libgecode27 library, which I did install.
>
> If there is a mistake in the dependencies (depends on libgecode19 when
> only libgecode27 is available), installing it by hand will not change
> the broken package that will still refuse to be installed.
>
> > E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
>
> See ?
>
> > I also attempted to install via pip.  This fails b/c some URLs attempting
> > to be fetched are not longer valid.
>
> Unfortunately, I am not surprised.
>
> > I also tried to install from source *tgz and mercurial.  Both of these
> > attempts also failed.   It appears the problems here are :
> >
> >    1. libgecode9 is not avaialable
>
> Who asks for it ?

The instruction for installing from mercurial & source  request that all
dependencies are installed (
http://docs.cubicweb.org/annexes/depends.html#installdependencies ) which
inclue RQL.  Attempting to install rql gives this error:
#####
 python-rql : Depends: python (< 2.7) but 2.7.2-7ubuntu2 is to be installed
              Depends: libgecode19 (>= 3.2.1) but it is not installable
#####

> >    2. the library 'RQL' will not install b/c it requires python < 2.7 ...
> >    and libgecode9.
>
> It should work with python 2.7. Do you have it installed ? What is the
> exact message/traceback you get ?
>
> > Has anyone successfully installed on ubuntu 11.10 ?
>
> http://docs.cubicweb.org/admin/setup.html#mercurialinstallation should
> always work. Did you get the above error when running
> `python cubicweb/bin/clone_deps.py` as documented ?

When I run this command, I get what appears to be successful completion
(links to docs for further setup).  This looks promising!

john