[Cubicweb] deprecation policy

Aurélien Campéas aurelien.campeas at logilab.fr
Tue Jul 24 17:31:14 CEST 2012

Dear list,

I have seen the latest API change in 3.16: one adds a cw_set method
which unifies set_attributes and set_relations. Also the former methods
get deprecated.

In an ideal world, I'd:
* fix my cube's code to kill the deprecation warnings asap
* use a proper configuration management tool and be happy

In my current world, I have

* either to endure swaths of deprecation warnings (for such a
   basic & widely used API) whenever I continue to develop with
   this version of cubicweb, because I do not want to immediately
   commit to it (esp. go in production with it),

* or to adapt the code & from this render my cube incompatible with
   former cubicweb versions

These situations are problematic imo. Maybe I give too much
importance to these warnings. They tend to pollute quite a bit
the console however and the repetition of each warning gets
tiresome quickly.

That happened also recently with e.g cw 3.15, where cubicweb.selectors
became cubicweb.predicates. Other than that there are some
important & big changes in 3.15 but _this renaming alone_ created a
lot of visual noise.

Maybe I'm just asking for an option to hide them ?
Or that we do not immediately deprecate old stuff ?
Or that we grow good enough configuration management tools ?
Unsure ...

Regards,
Aurélien.

ps: this is a followup to http://www.cubicweb.org/ticket/2445042