[Cubicweb] Bootstrap 2, Orbui 1 and CubicWeb 4

Nicolas Chauvat nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr
Mon Apr 23 16:49:51 CEST 2012

Hi List,

I have had the time (at last) to test Orbui by trying to migrate an
existing app (our internal crm) to it. Orbui replaces the
base/standard views of CubicWeb with views that generate HTML meant
for the Bootstrap framework. Since the team of an important project at
Logilab has been playing with Bootstrap for a demo, I had to do my
homework and go read documentation to compare Bootstrap to other
options.

My conclusion is that I very much liked what I saw in
Orbui/Bootstrap. I think Crealibre/Zemantica is right here: Bootstrap
is the way to go if we are to pick a framework for the frontend (in
the browser). My thanks to the authors for sharing this.

There are still rough edges and work needed, but building on Orbui
that picked Bootstrap will be easy compared to starting from scratch
to reinvent the wheel or lose time with the wrong frontend framework.

As I said, I have started to try migrating existing apps to Orbui and
played with Bootstrap for something else. If other core developers
agree with the target "Moving to orbui/bootstrap", the main problem
will be to find a migration path to get there.

The first issue is that orbui replaces the standard views in the
registry, but many applications have views that *derive* from the
standard views. These application views have to be modified to derive
from orbui views instead. It means modification in the code that make
it incompatible with the rest of the cubes, unless these cubes have
migrated to orbui/bootstrap. In the current state, there are also
issues with javascript code (I did not get the facets to work properly
out of the box for example).

Could the core developers get a close look at orbui/bootstrap and tell
the list if they agree with an objective such as "Bootstrap will be
the frontend framework of CubicWeb 4"?

If there is agreement on this, could we discuss what is the best way
to get there?