[Cubicweb] Cubicweb's patch revisions

Carlos Balderas carlos.balderas at gmail.com
Mon May 30 22:42:59 CEST 2011

Hello List, I am reviewing my very first cubicweb's patch and
I'd like to know the best practices at this point to complete the
revision correctly.

Syt has already given me an explanation of what steps to follow, but I
would like to know how a deeper tests can be done (in case the
developer has the time to do some extra revisions of the patch, of course).
This take us to another topics that as a cubicweb developer I would
really like to know and understand better.

So following the instructions more or less what I should do is:

1.- Check if the patch is linked to a ticket. Not in my case. I guess
this is to get more information and understand better what
the patch does.
2.- Check if the commit messages and comments are enough to understand
the change. In case it isn't clear enough, we should write some
comments to ask for more information, right?
3.- Review the code looking for pitfall/bugs. I see this can be done
in cubicweb forge, looking at the version content of each patch.

At this point, I have checked the patch at first sight, but what I
would really like to do is to test it. Here is where it comes some
other topics.

So I go looking for the patch, and apply it on cubicweb.

1.- How do I know what branch (stable, default, other) should I use to
apply the patch?

In my case I used the stable branch, trying to have some luck.  Then
run an application instance, just to see the screen messages or to
find out if something there is a critical error.

My patch's name is "[session] provide a simple transaction context
manager for session ", the name is clear, but due my lack of
experience in some cubicweb areas, I really would like to do some tests.

2.- I would think running cubiweb's tests with pytest tool would be
the least I can do, right?
Then I go to the test folder and start to run the test with pytest,
but I am not sure I am doing this right, because the tests don't
return messages

carlos at debian:~/src/fcubicweb/cubicweb/test$ pytest unittest_req.py
=========================  unittest_req.py  ==========================
*********

carlos at debian:~/src/fcubicweb/cubicweb/test$

I think I am missing some parameters or configuration here, am I?

3.- Well, let's say that tests ran ok, but at this point the tests I made
could've not
even touch the code of the patch yet, nor to see if there is any
problem to run it, nor to test the logic of the change. This left me
the feeling of the patch hasn't been checked at this time.

What would be your recomendations about this situation?.

Best Regards
Carlos Balderas