[Cubicweb] CubicWeb Interface Framework

Celso FLORES celso.flores at crealibre.com
Thu Dec 22 22:00:30 CET 2011

2011/12/22 Aurélien Campéas <aurelien.campeas at logilab.fr>

> Le 21/12/2011 20:13, Celso FLORES a écrit :
>

>> Hi List,
>>

> Hi Celso,
>
> I felt a Santa Klaus coming yesterday ... :)
>

>> At CreaLibre from Monterrey Mexico, we have been working with CubicWeb
>> since 2009.
>>
>> CubicWeb’s strength lies in the pursuit of semantic value. This has
>> largely been achieved on the back-end, at the data-base level. However,
>> there are some areas in which we believe CW could be improved,
>> especially concerning the HTML and CSS that is generated to present the
>> data to human viewers.
>>
>> Therefore we have been working since last week, in a project to
>> integrate a CSS Flexible Framework with CubicWeb.
>>
>> We call this project *Orbui *
>>

> Is there some meaning behind the name ?

Not really, we just want to make reference to something related to a
sphere, globe and we came with ORB User Interface.

Orbui.com

> [...]
>> Header.
>>
>> Proposed Changes for the Header and Footer Elements in CubicWeb
>> Applications
>> https://docs.google.com/**document/pub?id=1jvFPTwvPC-**
>> RBaA8KJWr9lxORFR3wKjrKdYeo9rHD**Dxw<https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1jvFPTwvPC-RBaA8KJWr9lxORFR3wKjrKdYeo9rHDDxw>
>> This document was based on the default setting of CubicWeb. We are aware
>> that header might contain dynamic elements.
>>

> Also note that the current CW header/structure is broken. There is a
> languishing patch that would fix it but it has been deemed "not good enoug"
> (even though it has only one minor flaw and repairs the visual uglyness).
>

>> 2. CSS Frameworks
>>
>> At first we thought to develop the Framework from Scratch.
>> After a little research we found that people has already do great job in
>> this topic.
>> For instance, Bootstrap from Twitter and Foundation from Zurb.
>>
>> http://twitter.github.com/**bootstrap/<http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/>
>>
>> http://foundation.zurb.com/ <http://foundation.zurb.com/>
>>

>> We also did a comparison document (thanks to Bruni) and choose
>> Foundation, specially considering Flexible Design Rendering and painless
>> implementation.
>>
>> Here you can read the doc:
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/**document/pub?id=**
>> 1DY8PEgNaliRnbpLv1R6oIGK4WYwVL**ftdMkVX0wEOGoA<https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1DY8PEgNaliRnbpLv1R6oIGK4WYwVLftdMkVX0wEOGoA>
>> <http://foundation.zurb.com/>
>>

>> 3. Adapting Foundation to CubicWeb.
>>
>> a. Creating a cube and removing almost all CSS from CubicWeb.
>> b. Creating the Orbui cube and start Implementing Foundation CSS and JS.
>> c. Adapting a Custom CSS.
>>

>> In January we should put a demo site and a repository to share with the
>> community.
>>

>> *Activities we are planning: **
>> *
>>
>> - Restructuring Primary, Edition, List, Reledit, Boxes etc. to render in
>> XHTML/HTML5 and CSS3 , according to W3C standards (all visual components
>> from CW if needed)
>> - Look and feel :  Images and CSS3 rendering.
>> - New UI for CRUD by default.
>> - New Manage views.
>>
>> ---------------
>>

>> All code would be of course released Open Source.
>>

>> - We know this should take time.
>> - This mail is to inform you about this work we are doing and to start
>> the exchange of ideas.
>> - If at some moment you are willing to implement any of this in CW, we
>> would like to help and get some guidance.
>>

> We operate under the constraint that out of the box cubicweb works with IE
> 7/8 (most of our paying customers mandate some IE version). Hence whatever
> niceties are brought with css3/html5, it should always degrade very
> gracefully under the old klunky browsers.
>
> Then, if the default cw look could be enhanced at the same time, that
> would be very good news. We are a bit ugly right now :)

We are working first in adapting Orbui to CW, so it can be added as a cube
and Work with CW Default HTML.
This is not very easy (some CSS classes inside tables causes difficult
handling - i.e. table tsearch), but we want to follow CW HTML, so it can be
used without forcing you to change your HTML.

Nevertheless, we decide to use our own HTML in our future applications and
we hope Cw could follow at some point.

>> Thanks for all the great work at CW and the time you spend helping new
>> members.
>>

> Do you plan to host the orbui cube on cwo ? This would allow core cw
> developpers & users to see things happen progressively and possibly
> comment, review & patch along.

Yes. We will whenever Orbui is working correctly to be presented ( 1 or 2
month).

Meanwhile, we will continue to share our ideas about HTML Rendering  in
Primary view, edition, boxes,
and doing patches for this part.

Those view will come with their CSS.

At some point, we could start  adapting CW to this classes (and cleaning
those already used ).

> Also, since you are bringing css/ui expertise, what about you guys
> becoming the ui/css/html defacto reviewers for cubicweb ui/web related
> patches ?

This is a great idea, but we do not have enough manpower to commit in such
a task now.

We really hope to start doing more business on the CW framework, to hire
people specially dedicated on this platform.

Anyways We think that this Orbui project, can help us to develop faster and
simpler with CW.

> Regards,
> Aurélien.

Regards Celso,