[Cubicweb] CubicWeb Interface Framework

Celso FLORES celso.flores at crealibre.com
Wed Dec 21 20:13:42 CET 2011

Hi List,

At CreaLibre from Monterrey Mexico, we have been working with CubicWeb
since 2009.

CubicWeb’s strength lies in the pursuit of semantic value. This has largely
been achieved on the back-end, at the data-base level. However, there are
some areas in which we believe CW could be improved, especially concerning
the HTML and CSS that is generated to present the data to human viewers.

Therefore we have been working since last week, in a project to integrate a
CSS Flexible Framework with CubicWeb.

We call this project *Orbui *

Activities we have done  so far:

1. Analysing the HTML from CubicWeb

- Testing transition to a Tableless Flexible design.
-  Writing a document on Proposals for a XHTML and HTML5 Footer and Header.

Proposed Changes for the Header and Footer Elements in CubicWeb Applications
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1jvFPTwvPC-RBaA8KJWr9lxORFR3wKjrKdYeo9rHDDxw
This document was based on the default setting of CubicWeb. We are aware
that header might contain dynamic elements.

2. CSS Frameworks

At first we thought to develop the Framework from Scratch.
After a little research we found that people has already do great job in
this topic.
For instance, Bootstrap from Twitter and Foundation from Zurb.

http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/

http://foundation.zurb.com/ <http://foundation.zurb.com/>

We also did a comparison document (thanks to Bruni) and choose Foundation,
specially considering Flexible Design Rendering and painless
implementation.

Here you can read the doc:

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1DY8PEgNaliRnbpLv1R6oIGK4WYwVLftdMkVX0wEOGoA
<http://foundation.zurb.com/>

3. Adapting Foundation to CubicWeb.

a. Creating a cube and removing almost all CSS from CubicWeb.
b. Creating the Orbui cube and start Implementing Foundation CSS and JS.
c. Adapting a Custom CSS.

In January we should put a demo site and a repository to share with the
community.

*Activities we are planning: **
*
- Restructuring Primary, Edition, List, Reledit, Boxes etc. to render in
XHTML/HTML5 and CSS3 , according to W3C standards (all visual components
from CW if needed)
- Look and feel :  Images and CSS3 rendering.
- New UI for CRUD by default.
- New Manage views.

---------------

All code would be of course released Open Source.

- We know this should take time.
- This mail is to inform you about this work we are doing and to start the
exchange of ideas.
- If at some moment you are willing to implement any of this in CW, we
would like to help and get some guidance.

Thanks for all the great work at CW and the time you spend helping new
members.

Celso FLORES

Carlos BALDERAS
Zemantica (Developpement in CW).