[Cubicweb] ERQLExpression for update and delete permissions

Carlos Balderas carlos.balderas at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 06:21:25 CEST 2010

Syt, I am sending you the cube with some test you can run, but I think I
found where most of the time is consuming.

It seems to be at the moment of calling "publish" method in class
ViewController (cubicweb/web/views/basecontrollers.py)

to be more precise at the moment to execute line 122

return self._cw.vreg['views'].main_template(self._cw, template,
                                                rset=rset, view=view)

I went tracking until I got to this point, and more than 8 seconds are spent
here. (for my tests)

I am sorry for not going beyond this point, I got a little lost here since I
just starting to understand a little this part of cubicweb.

I think the ERQLExpression might be causing several validations here in some
way that make time consuming, not that I can be sure, but if I use a normal
users group like 'users', 'managers', etc to asign: read, update, add,
delete permissions, cw displays all results very fast.

I wrote these tests earlier, they just confirm rql queries work fine! :-)

1.- CubicWebTC based test (test/test_ERQL_time.py) showed no problem at all
with execution time for an rql sentence like 'Any X WHERE X is EntityOne'.

The result of this tests are pretty much the same using or not the
ERQLExpression to define dynamic permissions for this entity.

admin --> start time: 26.24 / end time: 26.26 / total: 0.02 secs
userx --> start time: 26.28 / end time: 26.3 / total: 0.02 secs

 --- Because this last test looked fine, I made a test inside a running
cubicweb instance, I didn't find the way to test the list view in.

2.- At this time I didn't find the way to make this other test in CubicWebTC
based form, so I just made it in a running cubicweb instance of my cube.

2.1.- Create a view TestEntityOne, and check again the execution time of the
rql query ('Any X WHERE X is EntityOne')
http://debian:8081/?vid=entityoneview1
admin --> start time: 3.33 / end time: 3.35 / total: 0.02 secs
userx --> start time: 3.12 / end time: 3.14 / total: 0.02 secs

The results were equal, they shouldn't be different, but I wanted to test it
anyway since the tests run in different database (sqlite, postgresql).

3.- Last test was about displaying a result set of EntityOne. I sent the
rset of the same rql query ('Any X WHERE X is EntityOne') to be displayed in
"list" view and an other new list view I wrote called "newlisttest", I found
out that most of the time is spent in this process.
http://debian:8081/?vid=entityoneview2
(The conclusion of the test is explained at the begin of this email)

Thank you,
I hope this helps to see if cw has an opportunity case to be improved in
this part of the code.

Best Regards
Carlos Balderas