[Cubicweb] win32: my first instance is running - some experiences and suggestions

aurélien campéas aurelien.campeas at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 10:01:00 CEST 2010

Le 26/09/10 10:42, Dr.Leo a écrit :
> Hi,

> thanks to the fabulous support on this list from the Logilab team I
> managed to successfully start my very first instance on win32 using the
> standard blog cube.

Very happy to hear that :)

> There are still some issues, but it is good to see an impressive admin
> interface and to have created a blog and some entries. The issues are:
>
> 1. I had to set more environment variables than mentioned in the
> "Installation on Windows section": CW_INSTANCE_DIR and
> CW_INSTANCE_DATA_DIR. This solves the error described in my last e-mail.
> Please ignore.
>
> 2. Thee db-init command raised a number of ddeprecation warnings and a
> Runtime error (see attached log). So I don't know if the database has
> been set up properly. The blog cube's version is only a few days old, so
> it should normally be ok. Maybe the blog cube would benefit from some
> face-lifting.

What do you mean by face-lifting here ? (don't get it)

> 3. Starting the instance as a service does not work for some unknown
> reason. Registration with win32svc install did not raise any error
> though. At least running the instance in debug mode works.

The win32 service thing has been tested and deployed on windows server 2003
only. Have been seen to fail on XP instances (cause is unknown). There is
currently no available manpower (logilab-wise) to debug it.

> 4. Having played around a little with the blog cube, I am impressed by
> its functionality. rST2html rendering does not seem to work though. No
> big deal.

Might need aditionnal dependancies (python docutils ?).

> 5. Accessibility: Due to a visual handicap I am using a so-called screen
> reading software to output speech and Braille distilled from the screen
> content. For webpages to be accessible to visually-impared, some w3c
> guidelines should be observed. In particular: links, buttons and other
> html elements need to be labelled to supply meaningful speech output.

Indeed. I believe Florent & Vicent have worked on a public website with
strong accessibility needs. We are still waiting for bits of wisdom (patches
? requirements ? tickets) from their side on this topic ;-)

Your remarks in this area are very welcome.

> There is room for improvement here. E.g. the search button and the "add
> entity" links are ntot labelled. I know this is not your first priority,
> but it would be very useful to comply with generally acepted standards.
> Clearly, these lables would need to be gettext-aware.

It is definitely a priority. What you report here is a bug. Would you mind
filing tickets on the cubicweb forge ?

> 5. German language
>
> It is missing. If no one is working on this, I could give it a try, time
> permitting. For my own projects I would do it anyway. But so far I
> haven't even read the docs on internationalization. Any views?

German translations welcome. We do french because _we_ are french ...
spanish is there because of the interest a some mexican spanish-speaking
cubicweb users/developpers. They maintain it themselves however.

Given the pace of development, translations can lag behind quickly.

http://docs.cubicweb.org/devweb/internationalization.html should give you a
good starting point.

> Thanks again, Leo

Thanks for the perseverance.