[Cubicweb] Install of cubicweb-blog does not work properly

Dr.Leo stefan.pankoke at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 22 00:09:46 CEST 2010

  Hi,

Thanks for this mixed feedback. I understand that my detailed posts
about installation on Windows may bore those who have a working CW
environment. And frankly I would rather like to have one sooner than
later to get to the really interesting stuff. However, it appears that
installation on Linux is much better supported due to the more mature
packaging system than Windows. I also get the impression that CW
developers are keen to make it smoothly installable on Windows which is
- like it or not - a popular platform. And if I have to go through a
somewhat bumpy installation process I make an effort to let people know
what might be wrong rather than working silently for myself which would
arguably not contribute to solving any problem.

My concern regarding where cubes are installed is that there should be a
consistent policy. Either install them all in site-packages or in
Pythonxy/share/cubicweb/cubes/, but not some here and others there
depending on whether you use pip or not. So it is not about some
fiddling until it happens to work on my machine, but to make CW
installation more fun in the future. Before using symlinks or whatever
on Widnows I'd rather copy the package dir or egg file somewhere else.

On forest: if I had to install an older Mercurial to use a forest
extension that is no longer being maintained, I'd believe there is
something wrong with CW. Therefore I decided to do it withoutd hg,
although I'd really prefer pulling from hg repos to manual
ftp-downloads. However, I understand that there is some support for
moving away from forest using subrepos in the long run which I think is
the way to go.

Back to the blog cube: I am not so sure if the Pyro dependency is
necessary given that the docs say that one can live without unless one
wants to use multiple machines.

Leo