[Cubicweb] A newbie on Windows - installation pitfalls

Alexandre Fayolle alexandre.fayolle at logilab.fr
Wed Sep 8 09:35:53 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 08 September 2010 08:48:50 Sylvain Thénault wrote:

> > 1. Which python distribution?
> >
> > For Windows, it is suggested to use a scientific Python distribution
> > vrom www.pythonxy.com.
> >
> >  (http://docs.cubicweb.org/admin/setup#base-elements)
> >
> > People who have Python already installed will wonder what is really
> > needed in addition to the Python standard distribution. Other people
> > don't like eclipse or do not want to learn it now as they are happy
> > with their favorite editor. So why not the Standard Python
> > distribution? Well, there might be hidden reasons. Perhaps CW
> > requires extra packages contained in Pythonxy. This should either be
> > made explicit or denied. Otherwise people get upset. Also, there is
> > no indication on which Python version. Is 2.5 required, does 2.6 or
> > 2.7 do as well? - The docs mention simplejson. This indicates that
> > 2.5 is required; 2.6 has a json module included. Does it work as
> > well??? Probably not. Please confirm and clarify in the docs more
> > prominently, not just in the context of PostgreSQL...
>
> I don't remember why pythonxy is recommended. Maybe someone else on the
> list does? Regarding python version, you'll need python >= 2.5. If you're
> using python 2.6, simplejson is not necessary.

This comes from our first customer who needed Windows support. They also needed
various extra modules which are prepackaged and installed with Python(x,y),
and that part of the public doc was taken straight from the customer
documentation.

Formations Python, CubicWeb, Debian :  http://www.logilab.fr/formations
Développement logiciel sur mesure :      http://www.logilab.fr/services