[Cubicweb] A newbie on Windows - installation pitfalls

Dr.Leo stefan.pankoke at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 7 23:36:21 CEST 2010

  Hi there,

I am new to this list and to web frameworks and clearly to CW.
Considering whether to prefer Django or CW, I found the docs of CW very
promising especially as I tend to be too lazy to learn a templating
language. So I have decided to have a closer look at CW before Django.

I must admit that CW has not even been installed on my WinXP machine.
Here is why

While the docs are very well written, I tend to have some doubts on
whether they encourage newbies like me to go for CW. This is for the
following reasons:

1. Which python distribution?

For Windows, it is suggested to use a scientific Python distribution
vrom www.pythonxy.com.
  (http://docs.cubicweb.org/admin/setup#base-elements)

People who have Python already installed will wonder what is really
needed in addition to the Python standard distribution. Other people
don't like eclipse or do not want to learn it now as they are happy with
their favorite editor. So why not the Standard Python distribution?
Well, there might be hidden reasons. Perhaps CW requires extra packages
contained in Pythonxy. This should either be made explicit or denied.
Otherwise people get upset. Also, there is no indication on which Python
version. Is 2.5 required, does 2.6 or 2.7 do as well? - The docs mention
simplejson. This indicates that 2.5 is required; 2.6 has a json module
included. Does it work as well??? Probably not. Please confirm and
clarify in the docs more prominently, not just in the context of
PostgreSQL...

By the way, in chapter 1.2 it is said that CW should become pip
installable from v3.8. Today we are at 3.9.5. Please update the docs. Is
it already pip-installable??? I'd like to know this!

2. Mercurial-related stuff

I would expect to download a tarball, the dependencies and that's it.
The chapter on windows installation does not mention this option
alongside with installing from the repo. I am confused.

OK. Let's assume I use mercurial which makes it easier to upgrade etc. I
guess most people don't want to become familiar with a new version
control system just because they want to have the greatest web
framework. Well, I have TortoiseHG and I like it. Lucky me. But I don't
have the forest extention. So let's try to follow the instructions given
in chapter 1.4.1. TortoiseHG does not include the Forest extention. Too
bad. OK. let's grab it from:
http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/ForestExtension. There you can read
that forest does not seem to be actively maintained and that I should
consider using Mercurials native subrepo feature... Too bad. But I have
no choice as CW sources live in a forest... OK. Let's follow the
instructions and edit tortoiseHG/mercurial.ini. Oups! there is no such
file in my tortoisehg dir... Too bad.

I stop here to pick up later. Meanwhile I remember having installed
pinax with a single command: pip pinax, and it has everything built
in... I guess CW has a long way to go in terms of user-friendly
installation. Yet I don't give up yet.

3. Choosing the database

The installation guide for windows just talks about PostrgreSQL. This is
a huge software. Python ships with sqlite which allegedly works as well.
Even better: I could use a hg repo to store the data if I understand the
docs correctly. So why start with PostgreSQL??? Why don't you explain
how to use sqlite or Mercurial as a backend?

I know, it takes time and efforts to write user-friendly docs. But I
asume it would be worthwhile. Also, you may wish to consider getting rid
of forest using subrepo instead. - Shortly I'll come up with more of
these presumptuous proposals...

Leo