[Cubicweb] win32: my first instance is running - some experiences and suggestions

Sylvain Thénault sylvain.thenault at logilab.fr
Mon Sep 27 12:13:22 CEST 2010

On 26 septembre 10:42, Dr.Leo wrote:
>  Hi,

> thanks to the fabulous support on this list from the Logilab team I
> managed to successfully start my very first instance on win32 using
> the standard blog cube.

Great!

> There are still some issues, but it is good to see an impressive
> admin interface and to have created a blog and some entries. The
> issues are:
>
> 1. I had to set more environment variables than mentioned in the
> "Installation on Windows section": CW_INSTANCE_DIR and
> CW_INSTANCE_DATA_DIR. This solves the error described in my last
> e-mail. Please ignore.

Right, we'll talk about these.

> 2. Thee db-init command raised a number of ddeprecation warnings and
> a Runtime error (see attached log). So I don't know if the database
> has been set up properly. The blog cube's version is only a few days
> old, so it should normally be ok. Maybe the blog cube would benefit
> from some face-lifting.

Looking at the logs you sent, everything looks ok. A new release
of the blog cube should occurs soon, fixing most of the warnings.

> 3. Starting the instance as a service does not work for some unknown
> reason. Registration with win32svc install did not raise any error
> though. At least running the instance in debug mode works.

Hum, maybe Alexandre has an hint on this?

> 4. Having played around a little with the blog cube, I am impressed
> by its functionality. rST2html rendering does not seem to work
> though. No big deal.

Do you have docutils installed ?

> 5. Accessibility: Due to a visual handicap I am using a so-called
> screen reading software to output speech and Braille distilled from
> the screen content. For webpages to be accessible to
> visually-impared, some w3c guidelines should be observed. In
> particular: links, buttons and other html elements need to be
> labelled to supply meaningful speech output. There is room for
> improvement here. E.g. the search button and the "add entity" links
> are ntot labelled. I know this is not your first priority, but it
> would be very useful to comply with generally acepted standards.
> Clearly, these lables would need to be gettext-aware.

If not our number one priority, we definitly want to enhance accessibility support.
Please give us any insight that may help here. Don't hesitate to open tickets
on the tracker, so we don't forget about it.

> 5. German language
>
> It is missing. If no one is working on this, I could give it a try,
> time permitting. For my own projects I would do it anyway. But so
> far I haven't even read the docs on internationalization. Any views?

It's missing, an such a contribution would be greatly appreciated. If you
want to work on this, first thing would be to translate cubicweb's message
catalogs in cubicweb/i18n/ : simply copy the en.po file into a de.po file
and start translating message.