[Cubicweb] Decentralization & Multi-source

Nicolas Chauvat nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr
Mon Oct 11 22:23:20 CEST 2010

Hello Arthur,

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 12:30:09PM +0200, Arthur Lutz wrote:
> The broad question : can the multi-source feature promote and render
> functional the decentralized internet ?

CubicWeb is meant for that, but I am not sure the current multi-source
feature built on Pyro is fit for that, which is why I have been
exploring another path with DataFeed_.

.. _DataFeed: http://www.cubicweb.org/project/cubicweb-datafeed

> How difficult would it be for two (or more) cubicweb instances to
> register each other and aggregate these informations ?

Not difficult. I have done it already.

> Would this kind of registration involve multi-source ? Or some other
> technology is preferred ? Linked Data ? I know that right now
> multi-source is configured in the files, how far are from a modification
> of that directly in the web app ?

Publish your data using a known data model/vocabulary and let others
copy it if they have permission to access it.

I have this running at home with the blog cube.	I use it to fetch
articles from RSS/Atom feeds and tweets from Tweeter and Identica. No
need for a feed reader, not need for a microblog reader... and you get
the (local) tags, comments and article similarity almost for free.

Take a look at the datafeed cube and at cubes/blog/sobjects.py to see
how it works.

http://hg.logilab.org/cubes/blog/file/d785490eafb8/sobjects.py

You will notice that the blog cube features a SIOC parser, with SIOC
being a "standard" vocabulary for describing discussions, including
blogs with threaded comments.

You may also take a look at the similarity cube that provides a
service to compare entities. You can for example fetch articles from
several blogs, then take any article and have a list of the most
similar ones, showing relations between blogs.

> The bonus question would be how feasible would it be to get a small
> CubicWeb application to run on a low-CPU low-energy embedded device such
> as a plug computer ? For inspiration see http://www.plugcomputer.org/
> and http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox

We are on the same page, but I believe the problem is that currently
CubicWeb works better with Postgresql. I guess the best option is to
buy a plug computer and try running CubicWeb with Sqlite and see where
it goes. They are cheap, maybe you could ask your boss to get you one?