[Cubicweb] CWEP-0001 - login and account creation process

aurélien campéas aurelien.campeas at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 23:02:31 CET 2010

2010/11/29 Nicolas Chauvat <nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr>

> Hi List,

Hi Nicolas,

> I suggest we refactor the login process in cubicweb.
>
> CWEP-0001 - login and account creation process

Great ! The last few months, I resisted several times the urge to write the
first CWEP myself. Glad you took the flag and did it :)

> Rationale
> ---------
>
> The current login and account creation process is too complex.

I wouldn't say it is too complex, but as you note below, we will soon be
craming a lot of small iconic things in the upper right corner.

"The current login and account creation process is too confusing."

> We recently added OpenID, which is nice. We may add soon OAuth, which
> will be good. Or maybe we will implement WedID first. Anyway, how many
> icons will we end up with in the top right corner ? Right now, on my
> instance I can see four: anonymous [openid icon] [register] [log in].
>
> Proposal
> --------
>
> The goal would be to have a single item in the top-right corner
> related to authentication information.
>
> When not logged-in, it would read "sign in" in english or "connexion" in
> french.
>
> When logged-in, it would display your username, as is currently done.
>
> Clicking on the "sign in" link would get you to a page where you could
> log in or create an account. That page would display as many different
> authentication mechanism as known by the app (looking these up in the
> registry).
>
> The page could look something like
> http://www.semweb.pro/conference/semwebpro2011/registration

Looks like a good start. I notice that the openid section will not easily
allow login, as few people know what their openid uri might be (this is a
failure of the openid standard somewhat) and for instance most gmail users
(& probably the same proportion of yahoo mail users) won't be able to login
there since these services make it incredibly hard to know your "open id".

Btw that's the reason most openid login pages expose a ridiculous list of
openid providers. cubicweb-openid only proposes a shortcut for google &
yahoo atm.

> For examples of such pages, one can look at google, twitter or meetup.
>
> Implementation
>
> As you guessed, a first implementation is available from the
> cubicweb-conference cube.
>
> http://hg.logilab.org/cubes/conference/file/f41c7b623dc4/views/startup.py#l47
>
> Discussion
>
> Please comment.

 I am +1 on the idea. Will have a look at the implementation later.