[Cubicweb] FW: Loading cubicweb from Lucid distribution

aurélien campéas aurelien.campeas at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 13:21:29 CET 2010

2010/11/27 Fletcher, John P <j.p.fletcher at aston.ac.uk>

> Aurelien
>
> I had two further problems.
>
> 1.  The problem about Ident which was resolved after reading this web site:
> http://www.depesz.com/index.php/2007/10/04/ident/  Part of the problem is
> that I access my computer using FreeNX and NXclient and therefore needed to
> adjust the permissions to allow access from a different IP number.
>
> 2.  When I had overcome the previous problem the construction of a blog
> still failed because the plpython of postgresql had not been installed,
> although it is available in the standard Lucid distribution.  I assume this
> is another dependency problem.  Installing that removed the last problem.

Well actually this is also talked about in the setup chapter of the
documentation, but it is too terse and easy to miss indeed ...

Postgresql and related dependencies are not automatically fetched because in
principle, people could want to use mysql as a backend (even though we do
not especially want to encourage that ...) or just run, on a specific
machine, the "web client" part that would be setup to communicate with the
"repository" part in another machine (using the pyro protocol)...

But a "fast path" instruction set for some well-defined environments/use
cases such as yours is missing. We'll fix that.

> Having done that I have now been able to run the blog and start making
> entries.
>
> I am very keen to pursue exploration of CubicWeb.  I have been looking for
> a long time for a tool which would enable me to log thoughts and data and
> which is based on semantic web principles of metadata.  I looked at the
> semantic media web a while ago now and hold the view that if we can build
> ontology into our thoughts we will be able to make connections in new ways.
>
> I plan to post a message summarising the problems I have had with the
> distribution and the steps needed to sort them out.  Part of the problem is
> that the wish to get CubicWeb running does not necessarily go with an in
> depth knowledge of python, postgresql and ubuntu/debian installation
> mechanisms.  I now know considerably more about all of these things than I
> did this morning.

Glad to hear that you managed to make it work, then :)

> My next challenge is to get it running on WindowsXP.

Why not ... we have customers running it under WS2003 in production and
under XP for testing purposes.

But you may encounter difficulties running it as a service (I didn't manage
to get the service setup work under XP and hadn't actually the
time/inclination to dig further).

If this turns out to be a problem for you, we'll begin to put a ticket about
this. Just tell us.

Regards,
Aurélien.