[Cubicweb] hook event for modification_date

Julien Jehannet julien.jehannet at logilab.fr
Tue Nov 2 16:20:41 CET 2010

Hello the list,

I was wondering why we use the `before_update_entity` event in the
'metaattrsupdate' hook to manage the modification date of each entity
(see cubicweb.hooks.metadata file).

Even if our different use cases work already like a charm, I would consider
update this date info only at the end of the hooks sequence (using the *after* event).
Not you ?

Moreover, I saw that some cubes try to trigger this behaviour with this following snippet:

	@objectify_selector
	def entity_really_edited(cls, req, rset=None, **kwargs):
		# when the status of an entity changes, the modification_date of the entity changes too
		entity = rset.get_entity(0, 0)
		if len(entity.cw_edited) == 1 and 'modification_date' in entity.cw_edited:
			return 0
		return 1

Have we some reasons to use `before_update_entity` event instead of 'after_update_entity' ?
Perhaps we could consider to switch to avoid the need of the previous snippet code selector ?

P.S. I will update the CubicWeb documentation with the responses found in this thread.
--
Julien JEHANNET                                          LOGILAB, Paris (France)
http://www.cubicweb.org                 CubicWeb, le cadriciel du web sémantique