[Cubicweb] FW: Loading cubicweb from Lucid distribution

Fletcher, John P j.p.fletcher at aston.ac.uk
Sat Nov 27 23:47:11 CET 2010

Aurelien

I had two further problems.

1.  The problem about Ident which was resolved after reading this web site: http://www.depesz.com/index.php/2007/10/04/ident/  Part of the problem is that I access my computer using FreeNX and NXclient and therefore needed to adjust the permissions to allow access from a different IP number.

2.  When I had overcome the previous problem the construction of a blog still failed because the plpython of postgresql had not been installed, although it is available in the standard Lucid distribution.  I assume this is another dependency problem.  Installing that removed the last problem.

Having done that I have now been able to run the blog and start making entries.

I am very keen to pursue exploration of CubicWeb.  I have been looking for a long time for a tool which would enable me to log thoughts and data and which is based on semantic web principles of metadata.  I looked at the semantic media web a while ago now and hold the view that if we can build ontology into our thoughts we will be able to make connections in new ways.

I plan to post a message summarising the problems I have had with the distribution and the steps needed to sort them out.  Part of the problem is that the wish to get CubicWeb running does not necessarily go with an in depth knowledge of python, postgresql and ubuntu/debian installation mechanisms.  I now know considerably more about all of these things than I did this morning.

My next challenge is to get it running on WindowsXP.

Thanks for the help.

John